Koroll & Company Blog

What Happens After You File A Tax Return?

[fa icon="calendar"] Jun 22, 2020 12:31:31 PM / by Allen Koroll

Tax Return

This year was out of the ordinary when it came to filing taxes. But although taxes did not need to be filed until June 1, many things are still the same. Including what happens once your return is filed. 

After you file your tax return, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will review your return and send you a Notice of Assessment (NOA). 

In most situations, nothing will have changed. The NOA will match what you filed on your tax return. But there are some instances where adjustments will be made. 

If the changes are simply an issue of poor calculations on the taxpayer’s part, the CRA will simply make an adjustment. You will have the opportunity to dispute these changes if you feel they were made incorrectly. 

In other situations where the CRA spots a more material discrepancy, they will reach out for additional information. If this is the case, be sure you are prompt in responding to their requests to ensure the timely processing of your tax return. 

The process of disputing an audit can be stressful. 

But we are always here to help. 

During the Audit

If you have been selected for an audit, we can help you through the process. We will work directly with the CRA to ensure that they receive the necessary documentation and will work diligently to resolve any issues that may arise.

If it is determined that a reassessment, resulting in higher taxes owing, should be made, we will contact the examiner and work to resolve the issue before the audit is finalized.


If you have already completed the audit process and an adjustment has been made resulting in further tax owing it is not too late for us to step in. We can help you determine whether you have a realistic chance of appeal or objection.

If you do, we can help you file a formal dispute and assist in the objection and appeal processes.

Our team is here to ensure that your taxes are fairly assessed and that you have maximized your after-tax position.

We can help you and your business in the following ways:

  • Advice
  • Compliance
  • Interest waiver applications
  • Negotiation at administrative levels
  • Appeals to court
  • Protection and voluntary disclosures
  • Unfiled tax returns
  • Undeclared income
  • Refused expenses
  • Income tax questionnaires on assets

In other instances, you may realize you made a mistake on your return before you have received your NOA. If this is the case, wait until your NOA arrives and confirm whether the CRA caught the mistake themselves. 

If they did not, you can request an adjustment using one of 3 options. 

1 - ReFILE 

You can advise the CRA of the error using the ReFILE service on the CRA website. This method can only be used if you used NETFILE or EFILE to submit your tax return. This service can be used for your 2016-2018 NETFILE Returns or your 2015-2018 EFILE Returns. 

Note that there are limitations to the ReFILE service. The service cannot be used in several situations including the following. You are:

  • amending an election or want to make an election 
  • applying for child and family benefits 
  • allocating a refund to other CRA accounts 
  • applying for the disability tax credit
  • in the process of a reassessment 
  • changing personal information, such as address or direct deposit information
  • making more than 9 adjustments on a single return
2 - My Account

It is possible to adjust your tax return using your CRA My Account. 

My account can also be used for making changes to personal information, such as your address or direct deposit details. 

3 - Mail

For taxpayers who prefer to use an offline option or are dealing with tax matters that are not allowed to be managed through ReFILE or My Account, you can mail your adjustments to the CRA. 

While you can file adjustments by sending a signed letter and supporting documents to your tax centre, it is recommended that you use the Form T1-ADJ. The form clearly details the adjustment and ensures you provide the right information. To get a copy of the form, you can print it off the CRA website or you can have it mailed to you by calling the CRA’s enquiry line (1-800-959-8281). 

Another main benefit of the paper method is that adjustments can be made for any tax matter and there is no limitation to the number of adjustments. 

If you’re looking to make an adjustment to your return or the CRA has reached out for additional information, contact us today.

Book A Free Consultation

The information presented is only of a general nature, may omit many details and special rules, is current only as of its published date, and accordingly cannot be regarded as legal or tax advice. Please contact our office for more information on this subject and how it pertains to your specific tax or financial situation.

About Koroll & Company

At Koroll & Company we grow our firm through satisfied clients referring us as a trusted accounting firm to their friends, family members and associates. The only way we know how to achieve this is strive to exceed your expectations and provide you with exceptional service. We have 20+ years servicing Newmarket, ON and the surrounding areas, and look forward to servicing you next. So give us a call and speak to a friendly staff member from Koroll & Company today!

Topics: Tax Deductions, Education

Allen Koroll

Written by Allen Koroll